Friday, July 3, 2009

This is NOT a party!


It seemed depressing to start right off with a picture of The Destroyer of my Rose Garden, the very reason that this year's garden has no contributors of the rose variety. Instead, I begin with my Grape lily. She was the first to catch my eye this morning.


This would be The Destroyer. I found him this morning on my Astilbe. He's a Japanese Beetle that, by the end of the weekend, will have invited every friend he's ever had for a Japanese Beetle frat party. The 42 zillion beetles will use my garden as both a buffet and a cheap hotel room. Last year they literally skeletonized every rose and all the rose foliage, and I could only find the spray that works on Japanese Beetles at Bachman's. That meant that if Bachman's ran out, my roses were decimated, then annihilated, within a week of running out of the spray. It looks like this year there are a few more choices available for the destruction of The Destroyer so at least I can pick up spray pretty much anywhere.


On a brighter note, my pansies are going strong...


...and so are my Wax Begonias! I think more Begonias are in order...more fragrant lilies wouldn't hurt, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment