Monday, July 27, 2009

Blueberry Festival 2009!


Every year, I steal away to Ely to see my "bonus family!" My step Mom, Char, is originally from Ely, Mn. Upon getting to know her family of origin I decided that they were my family too. Seriously, this is one FABULOUS group of people, and I lucked out because for some reason, they love me, too.
The picture above is the group of us (the woman on the right is Mary Ann, the matriarch/queen/Char's Mom) sitting around "talking." I use quotations because there were six women sitting around the table that evening, stone sober, and our laughter got so loud it should have required an elementary school cafeteria to create that noise! Man, we had a blast! I sat looking around at our little group and through my mind ran the thought that this is really what family is. And a fabulous Italian family, no less! The picture directly below shows Char, she's on the left.



While most of the gals were in the kitchen, a few others stayed in the living room and played the Wii that Caleb brought. They bowled, golfed, and Wii Sported and Wii Played the whole night!


We also took a tour of the Soudan Mine. Soudan is a pretty tiny town...so small, in fact, that there's actually a store called Soudan's Only Store. The family took an elevator a half mile below the surface. Once underground we got to ride the rails and our tour guide, a retired miner, gave us the dirty details about the jobs of the miners in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment